Monday, May 17, 2010

Blood, Sweat and Root Beer

First I want to start with what an awesome time I had at the Kingston 5 Peaks race last Saturday. It's been a while since I've signed up for a short race, and the Enduro course, which was just a little over 10K was a lot of fun. I haven't run 'fast' in a looong time and I wasn't quite sure how to go about this, other than to, well, run fast. I ended up finishing 1:06 and change which I am VERY happy with seeing as my 10k trail runs usually come up at around 1:15-1:30 or so. Some advice to me from a friend from Runningmania.com: "Head down, teeth gritted, arms pumping...GIVE 'ER!!!" and I did this but definitely ran out of steam with about 4k left. I knew this short race thing was tricky :).

My run today in Frontenac Park inspired this song:




There was blood...

Photobucket

...and not just my own. While crawling over a log, I didn't look where I put my hand and I totally squished a big millipede. Not long after, I inadvertently ran through some tent caterpillars, and I'm afraid some of them didn't make it either.


There's always sweat.

Luckily there were no tears, just root beer.

I ran out of water about 30-45 minutes before I was finished the run, and MAN was I thirsty. It was a hot one out there and I totally made a boo-boo by not bringing my handheld on top of my hydration pack. At the end of the run, I skipped the stretch, hopped into my car and drove to the Trail Centre and there was the most wonderful sight I have ever seen:

A vending machine.

With Root Beer.

The end.

4 comments:

  1. Hey. Nice trophy on your knee at Frontenac. Ouch!! Root Beer always makes the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I thought I saw you there talking with Derrick but didn't think you were coming to the race so figured it wasn't you as I continued on to the porta potty. It was a fun race although I was dizzy by 4km. Unlike you I am accustomed to running fast for short distances(btw 10km is long not short) in straight lines on even surfaces. You and I are exact opposites. Also I don't drink beer; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!!

    It was great to see you on Saturday. Congrats on doing so well at your short race. (They are painful, aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey....you quoted me....I've never been quoted before. Yaaaaaaay!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete